Ductless Cooling Systems: A Big Step up From Window A/C Units
If you own a home that doesn’t have ductwork, you’re more than likely cooling it with big, bulky, view-blocking window air conditioners. But there’s a much better option if central air isn’t possible in your New Jersey home: a ductless A/C system.
Also known as mini-splits, these compact cooling systems consist of two components that connect through a small pipe in an external wall: the indoor air handler and the outdoor condenser or heat pump (you’ve probably seen them hard at work in a local restaurant). A single outdoor condenser can handle several air handlers, giving you the ability to create custom, high-efficiency cooling zones in your home.
But the ability to create cooling zones is just one benefit of a mini-split system compared to window A/Cs – or even central ACs. You’ll also enjoy improvements in:
- Cost efficiency – Many ductless systems having SEER ratings of 18 or more – considerably higher than the 14 or 15 rating of most window models.
- Room lighting – Ductless air conditioners don’t take up window space, so you’ll get your view back. Let the sun shine (back) in!
- Placement flexibility – Air handlers can be installed just about anywhere – including basements, attics, and other rooms with or without windows. A ductless system can also be used as a supplemental cooling source in a renovation or addition to a centrally-cooled home.
- Installation ease – Installing a ductless system usually takes about a day (much shorter than a central air system), and once it’s in, it’s in – unlike a window A/C that has to be removed and lugged to and from the basement or crawl space every year.
- Air quality – Ductwork in a central air system creates the perfect conditions for the growth of mold and other harmful microorganisms. Since a mini-split doesn’t need ductwork, it avoids this problem.
- Environmental performance – Not only is a mini-split much more efficient than a window A/C, it also typically uses a more ozone-friendly refrigerant (R410A) than a typical window unit – good news for our planet (and our children).
Could a ductless system be right for your New Jersey home? Let’s talk about it! Contact us today for a FREE estimate and learn how affordable one of these great systems can be.