Five reasons to stay with oil heating vs. natural gas
It may be tempting to make the switch from heating oil to natural gas in your NJ home, considering all the stories circulating about the advantage of the latter over the former.
But stories are stories, and facts are facts.
The fact is, there are many reasons why choosing oil to heat your home is a better decision than converting to another fuel source. Before you make this important decision, it pays to separate the truth from the hype.
Five reasons to stick with tried and true heating oil
Why stick with tried and true heating oil deliveries rather than make the switch to natural gas? Here are five important reasons:
- You will get more heat for your dollar – A modern oil-fired furnace or boiler is super-efficient, with some models reaching ratings of 95 percent. That’s particularly impressive when you consider that burning oil creates 40 percent more BTUs than burning the equivalent amount of natural gas. Keep all of that in mind when you are asked to invest more than $9,000 to convert your heating equipment.
- Your equipment will be more durable – Modern oil boilers and furnaces are robust and dependable, with average lifespans that more than double those of their natural gas-powered cousins. They are typically easier and less costly to maintain and repair, too.
- The air will be cleaner – Modern oil burners emit near-zero levels of pollution; heating with oil today means no odors, soot or other residue in your home. Widespread use of ultra-low sulfur fuel oil, combined with cutting-edge emissions-control technologies, can reduce already-low emissions even further. By contrast, natural gas emissions have a methane content of 95 percent, accounting for about 18 percent of the world’s total for this powerful contributor to global warming and climate change.
- You won’t run out – Domestic oil production has reached its highest point since the 1970s; as a result, supplies are plentiful, and most experts expect oil prices to stay lower for the foreseeable future. Natural gas supplies are already starting to feel the strain of high demand.
- You will stay safe – Heating oil is no more likely to explode than the water in your swimming pool…you can’t say that for natural gas. And unlike natural gas, an oil heating system heat poses a very low risk of carbon monoxide poisoning; if an oil burner malfunctions (most often due to a lack of heating system maintenance), the safety devices in the unit will simply shut the furnace or boiler off.
Need help deciding if heating oil is still right for you? Contact Dowling today and let’s talk about it.